I'm a Mormon.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

A2 McCALL'S 5929

A pattern is nice to have. I refashion a lot for little kids without one but when you are refashioning for an adult especially a woman you need a pattern. There are a lot of curves to a female figure so a pattern is necessary. (Was that redundant, yes.) Eventually, I would love to write my own patterns but until then this one will do the trick. DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED BY A PATTERN. I WILL BE HERE HOLDING YOUR HAND THE WHOLE WAY. :)

P.S. Our final shirts will not look like the one pictured. It is simply a pattern we are going to base our shirt on.


A few things to note about patterns.

1. Pattern Pricing.

We are refashioning to save money. Pattern's are expensive. Luckily, fabric stores often have sales on patterns, especially during the holidays. You can call your local Joann's or Hancock and ask when their next sale on patterns is. Usually, the pattern will be .99 - 1.50, which is super cheap. However, if you want to follow this tutorial day by day and want to start now then just click here and order it. The cost is around 10.00, which isn't a lot of money for a shirt especially if you are going to use your husband's old shirt to transform. Then the total cost of your shirt will be 10.00, + plus thread, elastic thread, and interfacing. However, each additional shirt will be substantially cheaper. Around free. We are going to make different variations of this shirt, so it will be a good pattern to own.

2. Pattern Size Selection

You aren't fat, patterns run large. Gap, Banana Republic, Abecrombie and Finch have all have learned that women like to feel skinny. Through the years these companies have made the labels to their clothes smaller and smaller while pattern companies have remained consistent. If your pattern says you are a size twelve, don't be offended. I know you are a size two, it is okay. I have given a lot of sewing lessons through the years and this is always a discussion with my students. Look at the back flap of your pattern envelope. You will have to enlarge this picture to get a good look at it. Then take a measuring tape and measure yourself. If you have any questions about measuring yourself click here or leave a comment. On the flap of your pattern look at the body measurement chart. The most important measurement for this pattern is Bust, Waist, Hip. Here are my measurements. 35 inch bust, 31 inch waist, 38 inch hips. As you can see from the flap there is no size I fit in. My bust is a size 12 1/2. My waist is a size 16 1/2. My hips are a size 14. Yeah, now what? It would be easier if we could all fit in a mold. Sigh. I am going to start in the middle. I will make myself a size 14. If you have any questions on which size to choose write, "My friend is ____ measurements in the comment box below and ask for a suggestion." No one will ever know it was your measurements. Or, just send me an e-mail. Then get your pattern and get ready to start. We are going to have some fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment